Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

The French have an expression for it: Bonne chance avec ca, good luck with that.

Anthony Moscatello

From the outset of his presidential campaign, Donald J. Trump has promised America that he would “build a wall, and Mexico will pay for it!”  Just exactly how will this promise be actualized? Not only has Enrique Pena Nieto, the president of Mexico, assured us (and the citizens of his own country) of the absurdity of Trump’s announcement, he is, as of this writing, seriously considering cancelling his visit to the White House, scheduled for January 31.  If Donald J. Trump is not careful (and there is no reason to believe that will happen), he will not have to build a physical wall on either of our borders. All across the globe the outrage of our friends and allies increases. Isolationism (“America First”) may sound like a good idea to some, but it has not proven to be all that effective in the past.

Yet another promise made by Trump during the campaign is about to be relegated to the “Alternate Facts” file: his promise not to meddle with Social Security or Medicare.
As of this writing, both House Speaker, Paul Ryan, and Trump’s Budget Office nominee, Mick Mulvaney are meddling (or planning to meddle) diligently with both.  Already, some Trump voters are experiencing buyer’s remorse.  As to his promise to “Drain the Swamp,” one has only to look at Trump’s cabinet nominees (no fewer than four of whom are Goldman Sachs alums) for the veracity of that one.
To paraphrase Sarah Palin: How’s that drainy swampy thing werkin’ fer ya?