Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

From Pyramids to Politics

Adam Sadko, Focus Writer

Among the recent news there has been much talk of Donald Trump’s new appointees to his cabinet, one of whom is Ben Carson.
Carson is a neurosurgeon, who earned his medical degrees from Yale University and the University of Michigan Medical School. Within the medical field he is an expert. At 33 he became the youngest chief of pediatric neurosurgery ever. He has also received more than 60 honorary doctorate degrees and dozens of national merit citations, written over 100 neurosurgical publications, and authored six best-selling books.
However, his work in politics and his denial of climate change, evolution and other sciences are substandard and laughable.
He denies evolution, citing faith as his reason for doubt saying, “I don’t believe in evolution… I simply don’t have enough faith to believe that something as complex as our ability to rationalize, think, and plan, and have a moral sense of what’s right and wrong, just appeared.” First off, the theory of evolution is supported by evidence: things like fossils and carbon dating. Nothing within billions of years of evolution contradicts itself. Secondly, nothing in evolution just appeared; there are things we don’t know about the origin of life, but the only thing that is hypothesised as “appearing” is a very primitive form of RNA (ribonucleic acid). That is technically life on the basis that it reproduces itself. People didn’t just appear within evolution; they did, however, within the biblical creation of the earth, of which Mr. Carson is a proponent.

When speaking on the Clean Power Plan, an emissions program instituted by President Obama, he said “The EPA has said that if we implement every aspect of the Clean Power Plan, it will lower the temperature of the Earth by 0.05 degrees Fahrenheit… that’s the benefit. The cost is billions of dollars and millions of jobs. That doesn’t make any sense, because that is ideologically driven.” In this statement he is being disingenuous by not acknowledging the fact that climate change is predicted to cost trillions in damage to U.S. infrastructure.
Ben Carson has also said that the pyramids in Egypt had been built by Joseph (a figure in the old testament) to store food. “My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” he said in a commencement speech at Andrews University.
This lack of critical thinking and reasoning shown by Mr. Carson’s beliefs should cause us to worry about the kinds of decisions he will make as the head of Housing and Urban Development. We can only hope that he has better judgement when making decisions about our inner cities.