Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

“Hacking Democracy” Again?

Mr. Moscatello, Pubs Staff

On December 9, 2016, The Washington Post reported that not only had the CIA concluded that Russia “actively interfered in the [recent presidential] election not just to destabilize our political system, but to actively elect Donald Trump” (emphasis is theirs).

In September, U.S. intelligence agencies had arrived at this conclusion, and briefed the president and a bipartisan group in the Senate and the House.  According to The Post report, President Obama insisted on a “full disclosure report,” but Senator Mitch McConnell “quashed it, threatening to taint any disclosure with the claim that it was being made merely for political gain.”

Furthermore, FBI director James Comey was directed by the president to investigate this espionage. In October, Comey chose to re-open the GOP witch hunt into Hillary Clinton’s emails instead.

For those who are curious as to how hacking an election is accomplished, Focus recommends you view the 2006 documentary film, “Hacking Democracy.” You will see how easy it was in the 2000 election; imagine how easy it is now.