Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

Trump Picks Mattis For Defense Secretary

Rory Maloney, Focus Writer

President-Elect Donald Trump has appointed retired Marine General James “Mad Dog” Mattis as his Secretary of Defense. This was debatably the best appointment Trump has made for his administration. General Mattis is a highly intelligent man with a long-decorated career in the Marine Corps that qualify him to serve as Secretary of Defense.

In 1972, Mattis was commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps, one year after he earned a bachelor’s degree in History. Early in his service, Mattis was put in command of small units, and then Marine recruiting in Portland, Oregon. Later, then Lieutenant Colonel Mattis was awarded a Bronze Star for valor while commanding 1st Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment during the Persian Gulf War. Once promoted to Colonel, Mattis was awarded “Edson’s Eagles” one of the Marine Corps’ most honorable awards only awarded to colonels.

Mattis was given command of Marine forces during the planning stages of the Afghanistan campaign. Then, he was chosen to lead Task Force 58, which consisted of two U.S. Navy amphibious groups. Mattis was the first Marine officer to be given command of such a force. During the early stages of the Iraq War, now Major General (2 star general) Mattis was given command of the 1st Marine Division. It was while he was commanding the 1st Marine Division that he was given the nickname “Mad Dog” by his subordinates for his aggressive style of leadership and overall “bulldog” mentality. Contrary to how famous this name is, Mattis is not fond of this nickname and much rather prefers his other nickname, “Warrior Monk.”

In 2004, Lieutenant General (3 star general) Mattis was made Commander of the Marine Corps Combat Development Command in Quantico, Virginia. He then implemented programs for Marines fighting in the Middle East to learn more about the culture and beliefs of the people. After being promoted to General (4 star general), Mattis spent 2010-2013 as Commander of the U.S. Central Command, the center where all of the branches of the military work together. General Mattis retired from the Marine Corps in 2013 after 41 years of service.

Once he was considered for Secretary of Defense, Mattis met with President-Elect Trump to discuss the use of waterboarding and other forms of torture. During this meeting Mattis was quoted as saying, “I’ve always found, give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple beers and I do better with that than I do with torture.” Mattis will require a waiver approved by Congress because he has not been out of the military for seven years. This is why General Mattis is easily the most qualified person for the position of Secretary of Defense. He is highly educated, has many years of experience leading troops, and cares about our troops and their families. Trump has made some questionable decisions and appointments, but appointing General Mattis is easily the best choice he has made so far.