Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

Trump Appoints Haley to U.N. Post

Adam Sadko, Focus Writer

President elect Donald Trump has begun the process of putting together his presidential cabinet. He has chosen Nikki Haley to be the United Nations Ambassador. His choice of Haley is odd at best.

Nikki Haley was born in Bamberg, South Carolina, to an Indian Sikh family (she has since become a methodist); both of her parents are immigrants. She worked for FCR (a waste management company) and then her mother’s company, Exotica International. She has been named to numerous boards of directors, including the Orangeburg County Chamber of Commerce and the Lexington Chamber of Commerce.

More recently Haley was involved in a controversy surrounding a Confederate flag being flown on the South Carolina Statehouse grounds. Originally in favor of the flag, saying it was a symbol of Southern culture and history she was eventually pressured into taking it down, after which she changed her view and ceased defending its presence on the Statehouse grounds.

Her political views are in line with most mainstream conservatives. She has spoken out against unions saying, “We don’t have unions in South Carolina because we don’t need unions in South Carolina.” and “I’m not going to stop beating up on the unions.” There was a time in history when there were no unions in the United States, and if this reporter remembers correctly a sizeable portion of the populace lived in slums. She is also pro-life, against Obamacare, is in favor of stricter punishment for crime, and favors maintaining sovereignty from the United Nations.

As the Ambassador to the U.N., she would be critical in the diplomacy of the United States. She has had zero years of experience in foreign relations, which is probably not the best considering that she will be one of the most important diplomatic figures representing the United States in front of some of the most powerful nations in the world.