Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

ND Needs Longer Lunches

Cinque Shackelford, Focus Writer

Longer lunches have long been a huge complaint here at Notre Dame College Prep. A lot of students and even teachers complain about the short, 25-minute schedules here. With 25-minute lunches, students are rushed when they eat. They know that if they spend too much time talking or doing unfinished homework, they will have to eat quickly. Eating as quickly as you can isn’t healthy. The body can’t digest a lot of food all at once. This causes bloating, flatulence and poor digestion. This is bad, especially for students who have gym class right after lunch. This could lead to students throwing up during gym. That’s a mess that no janitor wants to clean up.
Before lunch, students have to say prayer, which takes time to say. Then they have to wait in a very long line to get their food from a food service that is understaffed. It definitely takes a while for two people to serve 20 students their lunch. This shorthanded staff results in waiting in a line for more than 10 minutes. I myself have spent more than 10 minutes waiting in line for lunch. Besides the students that wait in line, some students here at NDCP, skip lunch because they don’t agree with how little time they have. Lunch is one of the most important meals of the day. It’s the meal that you eat to power you through the rest of the day. If you don’t eat lunch, you could end up sleeping in class or even worse, losing weight, losing energy and losing nutrients that you could be getting from food.

Focus interviewed Mr. Robert Lashley, who is the assistant dean at NDCP.

Focus: How long have lunches been 25 minutes?

Lashley: For as long as I can remember. I’ve worked here for 10 years and the lunches have always been 25 minutes.

Focus: Do you think there will be a change to how long the lunches are?

Lashley: There’s always a possibility of a change with the lunches. Especially with the new schedules that could take place next year.

Focus: Would you make the lunches here longer?

Lashley: No, I would not make them longer. I think 25 minutes is a good amount of time for lunch. It’s plenty of time to eat and relax.

Focus: A good period of lunch is spent waiting in line for food, that causes students to rush through lunch. Do you think a longer lunch could help this?

Lashley: No. I would still stick with 25 minutes for lunch. I do think we should create a system that gets the kids their food a lot faster than what it’s been.