Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

Last Ride For the Hoop Dons

Sammy Scialabba, Pubs Staff

One of the strongest, if not the absolute strongest Notre Dame basketball team took the state of Illinois by storm last year. Sneaking into the Sun-Times Top 25 at 13 in the early season, shocked many. Debatably the biggest and best defensive team in the state, ran by senior Anthony D’avanzo and junior Jeameril Wilson, put together a surreal season that ended in one of the most exciting confrontations with Curie (future state champs) at Northwestern University in the Supersectional State Playoffs. The entire gym was shaking and bouncing as Northwestern was completely packed to the max with excited Notre Dame fans cheering on the Dons who now are hungrier than ever for the upcoming season.

This is Notre Dame’s chance. This is their last shot to prove themselves. Seniors Matt Stritizel and Jeameril Wilson look to exceed and push the limitations that others put on  Notre Dame basketball. They are both three year returning varsity players who have been able to learn and play behind some of the best to come through Notre Dame- Anthony D’avanzo, Ammar Becar, and Joe Mooney- but they know it is truly their time to shine.

With one of the most solid and deep benches in the area, the Dons will be preparing to run teams off the court with their up tempo offense, flawless team defense, and extensive experience. Other key contributors to this style of play include Seniors Chris Heinichen, Sean Johnson, and transfer student Malik Jenkins are ready to do whatever it takes to make this season another thriller.

Expectations from the student body and team are set high. The Hoop Dons are looking forward to create another exhilarating and electrifying atmosphere each and every game this year. The positives of this Notre Dame team are strong with closer to zero  negative components as they push for the ultimate prize, a state championship. This is the year.