Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

We Ain’t Afraid of No Goat

Dan Weber, Pubs Staff

Today is Monday October 24, 2016, and the Chicago Cubs are your 2016 National League Champions! Just typing that sentence sends chills through my body. It is happening; it was not a dream. Even though we all knew the Cubs were this good and we expected this to happen, it still doesn’t seem real. And waiting until Tuesday for the Fall Classic to begin is torture.

How can we possibly wait until then? Two days of school and homework and commitments and jobs and college applications. But then I recall David Ross leading the Cubs in a ritual called the “base point.” Stay grounded, fellas. One out at a time. One hit at a time. “Be here now,” he said.

Words to live by. Enjoy the excitement, the anticipation, the goosebumps. As my grandpa says, “it’s the journey, not the destination”

The Cubs will travel to Cleveland for the first two games on Tuesday and Wednesday due to the ridiculous rule stating that whoever wins the All Star game gets home field advantage. Come Friday, Saturday and Sunday,  it’s time to light up Wrigley and our great city. Hopefully we won’t need to head back to “the mistake on the lake” for a game 6 or 7.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. It was less than two weeks ago when the Cubbies were trailing the Giants 5-2 heading into the 9th inning of Game 4 of the NLDS. We were three outs away from a potentially season-ending game 5. An unbelieveable four-run ninth inning and boom, bring on the Dodgers. Fast forward to this past Tuesday night; you’re scrolling through your Twitter feed, holding back tears while reading the headlines “Rich Hill (Yes, that Rich Hill) and Co. blank the Cubs 6-0 to take a solid 2-1 lead in the NLCS.” Panic slowly seeps its way into your body, mind and spirit. There’s a huge game 4 looming and Cubs haters are ready to pounce. After three scoreless innings, the good guys decided to break out the sticks. A casual ten runs in three quick innings answered any and all questions about the Cubs going down quietly. Add to that were dominant performances by Jon Lester and Kyle Hendricks in Games 5 and 6, and that’s all she wrote.

In the blink of an eye we flipped the script on the Dodgers and sent ‘em packing. A quick shoutout to Joe Blanton is necessary, but in all seriousness, those were two hard-earned series. It is said time and again, anything can happen in October. So the Cubs cannot and have not overlooked anyone, obviously including a smoking hot Cleveland Indians.

There’s still work to be done, four more W’s to be specific. So let’s keep our feet on the ground and not lose our minds just yet. One thing is for sure, though, we are in for an absolute treat. I almost feel bad for all the old-timers who have waited decades for this, while we get to experience it at such a young age. Whether you are 108 or 8, this is crazy special. So buckle up, the fun is just beginning. We are making history here. One out at a time.