Focus

• October 24The Notre Dame varsity football team will take on Palatine in the first round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs this Saturday, October 29 at 2 pm.

Rivalry returns this Friday between Dons and Shamrocks

Dan Weber, Pubs Staff

With week five of the IHSA football season rapidly approaching, the hype only continues to grow for our marquee matchup of St. Pat’s vs. Notre Dame. For those of you not familiar with the St. Pat’s/Notre Dame rivalry, it arguably compares to the greats of Bears/Packers, Notre Dame/USC, etc. This year holds a little more in store though, seeing as how both teams have jumped out to solid starts. St. Pat’s and its high-powered offense remain the last undefeated team in the Eastern Suburban Catholic Conference at 4-0. It’s their best start to the season since 2008. Notre Dame (3-1), led by a relentless defense, is hoping to halt the Shamrocks’ success come Friday night.

A quick interview with senior Captain Lucas Polakow highlights the Dons’ plan for a big Friday night. When asking Polakow to summarize what’s at stake with this game and the meaning of the rivalry and friendships between Shamrocks and Dons, Polakow said: “We feel great about the game Friday. From a defensive standpoint, we match up very well with their offense. We plan to outplay them physically and mentally. With a rivalry like this, there is always more hype surrounding the game, but even more so this year with us being tied for first in conference with them. It’s always fun playing against kids you know and hang out with, but those friendships go out the window once you cross those white lines.”

Even amidst a blackout, the atmosphere in the standing-room only stadium will be electric. The student sections will generate enough energy to intensify the game from start to finish. Add to that energy a strong week of practice and the carb-loading of Wednesday’s pasta dinner, and you got a recipe for domination. But given what’s really at stake–conference leadership and bragging rights–there’s no doubt our boys will kill it on the field. Go Dons.